4.18.2009

Game 9: Ramon Hernandez officially becomes a Red

Reds 2, Astros 1

Johnny Cueto: 4.2 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 3 K. Wow, that's a solid line, but why only 4.2 innings pitched? Oh wait, I forgot to mention the 6 walks. Why are our Dominicans not throwing strikes? Johnny threw 46 strikes in 88 pitches tonight. Granted, umpire Joe West has a strike zone the size of an apricot, but when you are walking Roy Oswalt something needs fixin'.

Ramon Hernandez: I don't think anybody saw this one coming, but then again, when you're playing at the shoebox that is Minute Maid Park, anything can happen. A go-ahead homer in the top of the ninth to give the Reds a win. That's what I'm talkin' about boy. On the pitch before the homer, Ramon got pissed at a called strike off the outside corner of the plate. He exchanged some words with Joe West, probably something like, "Are you out of you're f**king mind. You haven't called that pitch the entire game," to which West probably responded, "I don't care, I'm drunk." Anyway, I knew Hernandez was going to take his aggression out on the next pitch, and just as I suspected, he sat on a fastball and deposited it just over the right field fence (I mean, that thing snuck over the wall).

Willy Taveras: 0-3 and a walk, but on the three outs he made he was out by a combined total of 1.5 steps. He was robbed on one hit up the middle by Roy Oswalt, who deflected the ball of his arse to third basement Geoff Blum, who promptly fired to first to get Willy. He was also gunned down going first to third on a seeing-eye Votto single to Pence in right field. Thing is though, he was safe. The ump butchered the call--a classic case of the ball beating the runner and the runner avoiding the tag. Willy also made a beautiful over-the-shoulder catch in center at about 395 ft.

Alex Gonzalez: Why does he swing so hard? He has a bad case of Phillips Syndrome. He thinks he's a power hitter. Alex dove and knocked down a ball at short but didn't pick it cleanly, and after an acrobatic throw from his back, the runner was safe by about three steps. It was a very good effort. When the camera cut back to Alex, he was cussing at his glove and definitely said, "Fuck you, you piece of shit." I'd say Alex needs to visit a hookah bar.

Johnny Cueto, sloppy bastard: After Johnny was yanked and he trotted back to the dugout, he let a huge wad of gum fall out of his mouth. He didn't spit it out. He didn't blow it out. He just kind of let it fall out. And if that wasn't enough, the young lad then bucked the wad up into the air with his glove. Richard Pole needs to teach this young man some manners.

The bullpen: 4.1 IP, 2 H (both off Cordero), 1 BB. Stellar.

Chris Dickerson: Quiet game for him, but you have to love how this kid doesn't take anything for granted. He grounded out to first twice and made Lance Berkman sprint to the base to get the out. 110% mentality.

Quote of the Game: I was forced by mlb.tv to listen to the Astros broadcast. There is nothing funny or backwards to report. They were really professional and accurate. How disappointing is that?

Roy Oswalt: They referred to him as "The Wizard" all game. Was I the only one who wasn't aware of this? The Wizard of "Os". The lamest nickname in baseball. Although, any nickname for Roy Oswalt would probably be the lamest. The guy just has an inescapable lameness factor.

This was a tough game for me to watch. As much as I hate to admit it, Roy Oswalt is on my fantasy baseball team and at certain points in the game I just wasn't sure who to root for. In the end Roy didn't get me a win, but you know what--the Reds did and I guess I'm okay with that. I'm glad that Ramon contributed directly. He needed that.

No comments:

Post a Comment